Re: Starmada campaign system

Postby jessie1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm very interested to help too.

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:11 am

A campaign system would be fine. A little bit more complex like Sovereign Stars, but not nearly as complex like vbam. (which is insane IMO) Things I would like to see in a campaign system are:

-Single ship management
-Supply - each ship costs supply points in order to regulate the number of ships a player can sustain and to prevent building up excessive stacks
-spionage system
-economy system which is a little mit more than just collecting resources each turn
-ground forces
-operational command and control subsystem
-different technologies

What I dont need
-ship crew experience (IMO the scale doesnt fit)

thanks for listening.

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Enpeze wrote:A campaign system would be fine. A little bit more complex like Sovereign Stars, but not nearly as complex like vbam. (which is insane IMO) Things I would like to see in a campaign system are:

-Single ship management
-Supply - each ship costs supply points in order to regulate the number of ships a player can sustain and to prevent building up excessive stacks
-spionage system
-economy system which is a little mit more than just collecting resources each turn
-ground forces
-operational command and control subsystem
-different technologies

What I dont need
-ship crew experience (IMO the scale doesnt fit)

thanks for listening.

Hm. I think I agree with you mostly. We addressed supply with the "You can't repair or re-arm small craft except at your own production centers", and limited task force / stack max sizes based on the quality of their commander. Espionage is always tricky - implementation really depends on how much data is available on enemy ship locations to start with. Our economy had resourcing, production, and infrastructure on each planet, so it might be about the complexity you're after. We didn't hit ground forces... kinda assumed that if you had space superiority, you could bombard enemy ground units into submission (though given how well that has been working out in recent American wars...). Not sure what you mean by operational C&C; could you clarify / provide an example of the type of thing you're after? We did do tech, and I agree that ship crew experience is just a bit too detailed / fiddly, especially when you have a full imperial fleet of ships... Also thanks for reviving this thread; I had hoped someone would :P.

Vandervecken
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Vandervecken » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 am

Enpeze, If you think VBAM is to big, I shudder to think of what you'd think of Starfire, hehehe.

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Vandervecken wrote:Enpeze, If you think VBAM is to big, I shudder to think of what you'd think of Starfire, hehehe.

I know I'm not Enpeze, but... I found VBAM to be at what seemed to be a viable level of complexity. The trouble was that I could not for the life of me get the rest of my group to fight their way through the books, and in previous instances of "Hey, you know the rules, tell us as we go," things have gone horribly terribly wrong... So that kinda rules it out for us.

MadCartographer
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby MadCartographer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 am

Is this still happening? I have an idea for an acutal Starmada UNIVERSE for a Campaign System. Please have a look at this pic for an idea of what I have in mind. This program is called AstroSynthesis and is a 3D Unverse/Galaxy creation program by NBOS. If intrested in using this, let me know I'll be happy to create the universe in it for you all.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=283399171763032&set=a.283399168429699.45063.223704851065798&type=1&theater

Pneumonica
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Pneumonica » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Although I'm buried in law school, I thought I'd rekindle this to say I'd be very interested.

I also think that certain ship traits, like the Leadership trait from Fleet Ops, could be reintegrated into the game at a fleet level. That is to say, have "leadership" packages that can be applied to any ship (since Leadership likely wouldn't have an SU requirement). It might also impact the fleet level for fleet coordination, although that's as far as my imagination can manage in the spaces between segments of oil and gas law.

Finding campaign-level uses for Auxiliary Services would also be good. Cargo becomes more important when you are defending actual in-game trade routes, Repair and Hospital can offset ship damage between port stops, etc. You might even have a system for ship capture - if a ship is brought down without taking out its entire hull (that is, by Marines or crew killers), that ship becomes property of whomever won the battle.
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything? That which gives us the potential to most be like God is the power of creation.
-Durandal, from Marathon

ZenGhost
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby ZenGhost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 am

What's the status of this effort? Discussions seem to trail off about 2+ years ago. I see an upscaled SovStar serving as a starting point for a campaign generator (see SovStar forum). Sounds like the consensus is more than current SovStar and less than VBAM. That's a big spectrum for campaign gaming. So some thoughts to add my desires into this effort...
- fleets are tracked by individual ships to facilitate transition to Starmada for resolution, otherwise combined ORAT would suffice for logistic/supply cost calculation and fleet size cap based on command ORAT capacity.
- trade routes and associated economic boons and opportunities for commerce raiding.
- simplified combat resolution for encounters generated but not desired for resolution via Starmada.
- starbases, stations, etc are generic and modular. Hull sized based calculations for ship production, command points, logistical reach, etc.

Just some intial thoughts to continue the discussion. What are your thoughts?
Zen Ghost

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Big question that would need to be considered before anything else can be hammered out:

Are people more interested in a hex-based campaign map, or something more abstract?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

ZenGhost
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby ZenGhost » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:45 am

cricket wrote:Big question that would need to be considered before anything else can be hammered out:

Are people more interested in a hex-based campaign map, or something more abstract?

I prefer a hex based system. But, I have played others that use jump lanes. Each has its own merits and drawbacks. Hex has more freedom of maneuver especially for exploration and tile based flexibility. Jump lanes allows quicker play as it limits fruitless exploration.
Zen Ghost

Return to “Game Design”