Starmada campaign system

What's next?
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Starmada campaign system

Postby mj12games » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 am

Anyone interested in helping me work out a campaign generation system for Starmada?

The "Simplest Campaign System" in the Sourcebook is good as far as it goes, but I'm thinking there is a need for something a bit more robust -- although still short of a standalone game like The Sovereign Stars would be.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

pickledteak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Starmada campaign system

Postby pickledteak » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:20 am

I think this would be amazing, and would love to give any help that I can.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 am

cricket wrote:Anyone interested in helping me work out a campaign generation system for Starmada?

The "Simplest Campaign System" in the Sourcebook is good as far as it goes, but I'm thinking there is a need for something a bit more robust -- although still short of a standalone game like The Sovereign Stars would be.

I think there is very much a place for a campaign system for Starmada. I for one would buy something that follows the MJ12 tradition of elegance of simple and playable design that creates a structured, on-going game universe. I've tried VBAM in the past, but personally found it tedious and unsatisfying, taking too much of the little time I had for playing. If there was a more streamline Starmada specific system that I think that would be great. I gladly offer to give what help I might be capable of if you would be interested. If nothing else I am available for playtesting! :)
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

evanmiller70
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby evanmiller70 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:43 pm

i would love to help. this is somthing that would enhance the system greatly

diddimus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby diddimus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 am

Is this still happening? I've just discovered the post after searching for VBAM. Also is Sovereign Stars still in the pipeline?

Dave
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:29 pm

I'd definitely be interested as well.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes, it's still on... usually when I ask something like this, people jump in with both feet and say "Ooh... I want THIS and THIS and THIS and..."

Since that hasn't happened, let's start with the basics:

Do you prefer a campaign system in which you track individual ships or maintain generic "fleet points"?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Dave
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 pm

I'd prefer tracking the actual ships. It's more micromanagement but I like the added "realism" from the extra detail.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:13 am

I'd second that.

As for what I'd like to see, it's got to be capable of dealing with everything behind the scenes but be simple enough that the main joy is actually playing out a scenario.

One thing that I thought of yesterday (without actually seeing this post) is a way to simulate supplies in a relatively quick way, although it would mean a lot of ships aren't compatible. Simply put, every ship consumes (CRat/100) cargo a day, round up. So ships with CRat up to 100 would consume one cargo point a day, 101-200 CRat vessels consume 2 cargo points a day, etc.

Didn't work the idea out too much, so others could come in and tear it to shreds if they want and nominate a better system.
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:18 pm

cricket wrote:Do you prefer a campaign system in which you track individual ships or maintain generic "fleet points"?

Add my vote for tracking individual ships, I think it really helps build the "character" of the campaign.

usually when I ask something like this, people jump in with both feet and say "Ooh... I want THIS and THIS and THIS and..."

To dovetail this with my earlier statement: I would like to see options for crew experience, elite officers (but not a slew of "special" officers) and useful roles/rules for auxiliaries.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

Return to “Game Design”