RPG?

What's next?
underling
Commodore
Commodore

Re: RPG?

Postby underling » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Don't Starmada, Defiance, Iron Stars, Wardogs, and to some degree For the Masses, already have default backgrounds? It seems like those were established with the provided force lists.
Aces at Dawn, Spitting Fire, and Grand Fleets also already have default backgrounds, that being history. ;)
Powersled Circuit was never intended as anything more than a one-off boardgame, and so doesn't really need one.

It seems like most of the games that could potentially benefit from default backgrounds already have some sort of start on one.
Kevin

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 am

I completely agree, but I think the point is that we would mash the various backgrounds together somehow?

or was it to come up with a completely new background?

I need more info!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:51 am

I'm open to suggestions (even if the suggestion is "Do nothing at all" :)) but what I was thinking when I asked the question was whether there should be a single unifying background for all of the games, not a separate one for each.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:34 am

Oddly enough, I got that :)

The question is, will this background incorporate all new material or will it use the existing materials and press them together like sheet of MDF?

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:28 am

One background to mash all the games MJ12 publishes together?

Eh....no, because (I think) they don't really all go together. Defiance has it's own, as do others (history as noted) - Iron Stars has it's own - I don't think the 'science' in Iron Stars and Starmada is really compatible enough to try to make it work. Iron Stars is almost Steampunk, and Starmada is more like Space Opera. I do think that you could easily meld Wardogs and Starmada together thematically with little trouble.

To answer Dan's question, yes - a Starmada background with more development would be great. It'd be a cool thing in my view if we were able to extend it so that Wardogs-style units were playable in it. I'd be giddy if we were able to include ARES-type characters, and it's only a step or two more to add in enough detail to make those into RPG-style characters.

I'm thinking RISUS or TWERPS, not GURPS or D20....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I wasn't necessarily thinking we should mash everything together -- rather, come up with a single background that can be plugged into each of our existing games and help drive the production of new ones.

Consider Games Workshop. Whatever you think of their games, their approach to rules writing, or their business plan, they have a very solid background that informs all of their products (well, two backgrounds that are very similar).
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Nerroth
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Nerroth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Iron Stars would be a great option.

When it comes to game engines, could a leaf be taken from the SFU playbook? Prime Directive is done in GURPS, D20M and other systems - though I personally like to get the GURPS versions.

Even if only one system (GURPS, for example) was chosen, it would be an ironic echo of how Starmada serves as a common gaming template for Klingon Armada and SIS...
Ire audaciter quo nemo ante iit.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 am

cricket wrote:I wasn't necessarily thinking we should mash everything together -- rather, come up with a single background that can be plugged into each of our existing games and help drive the production of new ones.

Eh, you could, but as I stated previously, I see some problems that would require 'retrofitting' some games...

cricket wrote:Consider Games Workshop. Whatever you think of their games, their approach to rules writing, or their business plan, they have a very solid background that informs all of their products (well, two backgrounds that are very similar).

I've said almost the same thing in the past, I think...I know I was thinking it.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 am

Nerroth wrote:Iron Stars would be a great option.

Maybe, but I can't wrap my head around it. SPACE: 1889 didn't do that well. Traveler was around a LONG time, and D20 stuff made today can be made to work with stuff I played as a teen (ie a LONG time ago).....

The Warhammer setting has been around a long time.

Nerroth wrote:When it comes to game engines, could a leaf be taken from the SFU playbook? Prime Directive is done in GURPS, D20M and other systems - though I personally like to get the GURPS versions.

Even if only one system (GURPS, for example) was chosen, it would be an ironic echo of how Starmada serves as a common gaming template for Klingon Armada and SIS...

I think GURPS is way too complicated for this audience - but I could be wrong. I'm not saying that this group isn't smart enough, but rather prefer more streamlined games. GURPS has always been interesting source material, but the system seems needlessly complicated to me - YMMV....

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:24 pm

cricket wrote:I wasn't necessarily thinking we should mash everything together -- rather, come up with a single background that can be plugged into each of our existing games and help drive the production of new ones.

ooh that's very corporate of you, next thing you know we'll be talking about long term goals and enterprise vision.

cricket wrote:Consider Games Workshop. Whatever you think of their games, their approach to rules writing, or their business plan, they have a very solid background that informs all of their products (well, two backgrounds that are very similar).

I see. I think it can help for sure, as long as it doesn't become the defacto and keep the new stuff from coming out of the player community. a fair share of what makes us cool is the open-ness of the various "systems". I do realise tho, that some people want a pre-set background they can fit into rather than complete openness which they then have to form for themselves.

So whaddya have in mind?

Return to “Game Design”