RPG?

What's next?
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

RPG?

Postby mj12games » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:35 pm

So, if MJ12 did decide to publish a role-playing game, what would people want to see?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Re: RPG?

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:36 am

Lots of square roots...:)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:13 am

cricket wrote:So, if MJ12 did decide to publish a role-playing game, what would people want to see?

Um...ZOMBIES!

Are you asking what we would like to see "Mechanically"/rules-wise, or setting?

If it is setting (which I think is where you were going with this) my vote would be for something "steampunk"-feeling that could be worked together with Iron Stars.

Of course I'm still on my first cup of coffee of the day so my opinions are subject to change as I become increasingly conscious.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm not looking for anything in particular... just asking the question: what comes to mind when you think "MJ12" and "RPG"?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

MadSeason
Captain
Captain

Postby MadSeason » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Fantasy RPGs are what most people want to play, what most people go back to playing, and what drives the industry.

However, when I think MJ12, I think Sci-Fi and steampunk. While an RPG in neither one of those is likely to make you rich, a well-received RPG in either genre could be quite successful. Given MJ12's current stable of offerings, I think an Iron Stars RPG would be an awesome place to begin.

And a good reason to create a poster map of Earth and the Solar System in the Iron Stars universe. ;)
Death is light as a feather; duty, heavy as a mountain.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 pm

cricket wrote:I'm not looking for anything in particular... just asking the question: what comes to mind when you think "MJ12" and "RPG"?

I think modular and easy to understand/play. Any MJ12 RPG would certainly be able to be adapted to any or at least lots of different genres and settings. Steampunk, space opera and Anime would all be good places for the core system to "live". The mechanics of the system should be based on the fewest number of dice types possible (1 hopefully) and focused on being fun and flexible. I like ROLE playing games and despise RULE playing games.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 pm

I concur. Iron Stars is probably the best place to start, simply due to the fact that there are fewer Steampunk/Victorian RPGs out there. The next logical "universes" that may benefit from such would be Starmada (if not already being done using Traveller rules) and Wardogs (also if not already being done with another rules set).

There are several good mechanics out there from which to build on, such as the SIEGE system, Uni-System, and the venerable d20 (which I'd rather not see in use due to super saturation of material already).

Blacklancer is right in that it should be fewest die rolls possible...in addition to as unified a dice mechanic as possible. ie, not needing 4 different dice to resolve any given action, etc.
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Nada.
Zip.
Zilch.
Not a damn thing.
Absofuckinglutely nothing.

An RPG is more than likely going to be a major resource hog, and take up a huge amount of time that could be used to develop all of the other stuff... that's not getting developed.

Since no one had even come close to offering up the other side of the discussion, I thought I'd step up and discuss the worthlessness developing an RPG, when there are plenty of them out there to do about any setting you want to do. ;)

Kevin

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Given the current state of rules systems, and the trend towards 'old fashioned' AD&D/D20-styled systems that seem to be proliferating on the internet, I'd say something like a pared-down AD&D/d20-based system.

Other simple systems -
-- TWERPS
-- Tri-stat (AKA Big Eyes Small Mouth)

Settings? Yeah - Victorian (from the Iron Stars Universe) would be ok, so would Anime ((a more free form Starmada or Iron Dogs setting). You might just do a MJ12-branded fantasy version of D&D.....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Personally I prefer Savage Worlds and dnd 4e because they are miniature centric. I dont think that I need another rpg system.

If MJ12 wants to develope a rpg system then please only one which supports miniature gaming. It should be VERY easy to grasp but allow for tactical decisions and combat should be played on a grid or gridless.

There are rpg systems out there with high production and entertainment value. For example DnD 4e has extremely good support with beautiful coloured tactial maps coming with each single combat enounter and prepainted cheap plastic minis. Topping this with will be difficult. And a cheaper alternative without georgeous grafics and maps looks always a little bit...well cheap. :)

IMO to be really successful in todays rpg market you firstly need to develope a great rule system (like savage worlds did) and then invest in a bunch of excellent grafic artists. Its not that easy than 10y ago.

Return to “Game Design”