New universe?

What's next?
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New universe?

Postby thedugan » Fri May 22, 2009 4:51 pm

underling wrote:
cricket wrote:And the first faction symbol... this one's for the Emperor in Exile...

The lighter area in the middle looks like butt cheeks. ;)

Butthead wrote:Heh..yeah....butt cheeks....heh,heh...

I like the thing otherwise, perhaps a more obvious "bird shape"?
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Non-butt-cheek version... :)
Attachments
imperial-small.png
imperial-small.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Fri May 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Even better! :D
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 am

I liked the idea of the bugs in Silent Death. They 'feed' on aggressive feelings so any large battles near a bug-infested world makes the bug swarm and attack nearby colonies...

-Bren

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

jygro wrote:I liked the idea of the bugs in Silent Death. They 'feed' on aggressive feelings so any large battles near a bug-infested world makes the bug swarm and attack nearby colonies...

The problem I have with "Feeding off emotions" is too close to various forms of telepathy, which is too close to magic for me if we're talking a 'Science Fiction' setting...If you wanna have Mentalists and GW-like spells, that's a whole 'nother bag of worms. If there are any 'Hive minds' extant, they'd have some sort of technological or pheremone-based linkage - the supposed fields that our minds throw off are so weak, that a toaster would disrupt any transmissions.

If you're going to have magic, may as well have Gods and Goddesses - I'll pick Thor for $20, Alex....

Yeah, I'm likely going to get some flac for it, so let 'er rip....

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 pm

go0gleplex wrote:Even better! :D

Yeah, that's not nearly so suggestive...
:D

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Well...you know we've been talking about the Haecorr a small bit sideline Dugan. :) Their hivemind only works in close proximity to each other...nearly physical contact per se and improves their analytical ability. That sort of fits with what you were just saying, no? ;)
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu May 28, 2009 5:00 pm

go0gleplex wrote:Well...you know we've been talking about the Haecorr a small bit sideline Dugan. :) Their hivemind only works in close proximity to each other...nearly physical contact per se and improves their analytical ability. That sort of fits with what you were just saying, no? ;)

Hmmm....More or less. Perhaps they've got more metal in their nervous system, a more stable genome (their 'brain wiring' is more consistent from individual to individual), and it only works in close range. I can live with that - it's not technological or pheremone-based, but it's range isn't so great as to range across a planet. It also only works between members of it's own species - I'm assuming some sort of co-operation between individuals is required, also.

"aggressive feelings so any large battles near a bug-infested world" implies a HUGE jump in the range of 'mental fields' and assumes that they can sense the minds of another species. That - to me - is basically a magical ability. It outranges sensors and weapons in the game....

As Peanut would say, "Holy Crap!"....

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

I'd also put a limit on range or number of individuals in the 'link', just to prevent abuse.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu May 28, 2009 5:05 pm

thedugan wrote:"aggressive feelings so any large battles near a bug-infested world" implies a HUGE jump in the range of 'mental fields' and assumes that they can sense the minds of another species. That - to me - is basically a magical ability. It outranges sensors and weapons in the game....

Well, to be honest -- Bren was describing the (very unique) effects of "bugs" in Silent Death. We certainly wouldn't be copying that in particular.

On the other hand, there's nothing inherently magical about the "hive mind" concept -- science still doesn't fully understand insect group behavior.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Game Design”