New universe?

What's next?
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: New universe?

Postby mj12games » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Think of this as the "opening crawl" to a Star Wars movie...

The Blight has passed, and the long, slow road to recovery begins.

The Emperor has been in exile for a dozen years and more; although weakened, his Golden Legions remain formidable.

They are needed, for Magistrate Fuzen Jao has returned. Thought to have perished in one of the last great battles of the Invasion, Jao revealed himself less than a year ago, shaking the galaxy to its core. Remembered as a hero who made the ultimate sacrifice in a valiant last stand against the Aracine hordes, the Magistrate's return was welcomed by few.

From his secret headquarters, Jao’s cybroid armies have gone forth to wreak havoc upon the worlds of the Thirteen Provinces. In the name of the Emperor, the Magistrate claims to seek a return to peace and unity -- yet his forces spread like a cancer across civilized space.

Although the cybroid menace does not discriminate, the free peoples of the Successor Parliament have endured more than their share of attacks, losing system after system to Jao’s advance. Despite the valiant efforts of the Parliamentary Guard, the future looks bleak. Parliament has called for more Vassal Brigades, but many states have gone back on their obligations, citing a need to protect their own borders.

However, there is a glimmer of hope: Fuzen Jao’s most trusted general, Oka Tandaro, is sympathetic to the Parliamentary cause. At great personal risk, she has provided the location of Jao’s base of operations -- and more importantly, the route by which it may be approached without detection.

Even now, a hastily-assembled force is on its way to lay siege to the icy wastes of Meknos Prime, hoping to capture the Magistrate and force him to the negotiating table before his forces can be recalled from campaigns throughout the galaxy...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

DKeith2011
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby DKeith2011 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:20 am

Interesting start.

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 pm

A few questions, Dan:

The Aaracne were defeated?

The Cybroids already existed before the fall or are they a surprise to everybody?
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 am

"Augh! My cybroids are killing me, where's that creme at?"
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:51 am

Interesting little tagline. I like it.

-B

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am

thedugan wrote:"Augh! My cybroids are killing me, where's that creme at?"

Cybrionts?
Cytroops?
Metal Skins?
Immortals?
2nd-Bodies?
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Blackronin wrote:The Aaracne were defeated?

The invasion was stopped -- whether they were fully defeated... ?

The Cybroids already existed before the fall or are they a surprise to everybody?

They are a surprise.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm

cricket wrote:
Blackronin wrote:The Aaracne were defeated?

The invasion was stopped -- whether they were fully defeated... ?

They are a surprise.

Why not stalled? That would give us a chance for space battles against the Aaracne and limited alliances between the other opponents.

And if the cybroids are a surprise, where did they come from? Are they a new technology? Or an ancient newly discovered one? Or a gift from someone with second intentions (this is very much SW - republic era)?

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Blackronin wrote:Why not stalled? That would give us a chance for space battles against the Aaracne and limited alliances between the other opponents.

That works for me ... frankly, I'd like to keep the details undefined for now, and just move forward as if the Aracine are still a threat, "occupying" many parts of the Thirteen Provinces, but the invasion itself has stalled, or been halted by a major battle (think Charles Martel and the Battle of Tours).

FWIW, I really liked the original Star Wars, where there was clearly a rich background (Clone Wars, Old Republic, ancient Jedi Knights) that influenced what was going on in the "present" but the details were pretty sketchy -- I'd like that kind of feel for this.

And if the cybroids are a surprise, where did they come from? Are they a new technology? Or an ancient newly discovered one? Or a gift from someone with second intentions (this is very much SW - republic era)?

That's a good question, and one that Parliament would love to ask Magistrate Jao if and when they get hold of him... ;)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't mind working more in this universe, if you can give me some solid ground to start with. Directions.

Return to “Game Design”