Starmada campaign system

What's next?
ZenGhost
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Starmada campaign system

Postby ZenGhost » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:56 pm

After re-reading this thread, I think this new campaign system should maintain the mantra of "simple but not simplistic". I think SovStar is an already made basis from which a campaign game/scenario generator could be developed. I believe that a core game based on SovStar with optional modules/rules to customize your campaign to whatever level of details you need (like "weapons traits" for Starmada). Hex or jumplanes/nodes could just be another options to customize your game. Supply can be adjusted to the level desired from abstract to "counting beans and bullets" (ok, let's not get that crazy). Let's not forget that this could be a scenario generator for other MJ12 games like Quantum Legions or Defiance. Anyway, I would love to hear from the regulars on this thread.
Zen Ghost

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm

ZenGhost wrote:Jump lanes allows quicker play as it limits fruitless exploration.

And this points to one of my (minor) complaints with many strategic space games.

Very few take place in an "established" (i.e. explored and settled) universe. Most take the approach that the galaxy is uninhabited (or at least undeveloped) except for the handful of homeworlds where the players begin.

I'm not a big fan of this.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

ZenGhost
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby ZenGhost » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 am

To clarify my statement of "fruitless exploration", it is relative to a hex or grid based system. With jumplanes, you can still explore as you move from node to node, and discover nodes with valuable systems or empty systems. I guess each style can dialed up or dialed down for exploration by adding lanes to each nodes. A good example of links and nodes campaign map would be the EVE Online starmap, at least for a very complex map. Anyway, just a thought.
Zen Ghost

ZenGhost
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby ZenGhost » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:56 am

Here are some stray voltages from my synapses,

Orbital stations
- Hull size determines total capacity for production and ability to repair
- hull size also determines spaces for docking
- production capacity and repair capacity are separate and distinct values for calculations
- stations not in supply cannot produce or repair starships
- hull size 1-5 is an outpost, supply depot, etc
- hull size 6-10 is a base station
- hull size 11-15 is a starbase
- hull size 15-20 is a starfortress
- for station design purpose, use engine thrust 1, and it cost 1/2 space, due to stationary nature of stations.

Trade routes
- Resource point cost to establish trade routes
- trade routes are fixed in space (hexes or links)
- provides bonus to income during income phase
- commerce raiding results in loss of half of resource points to attacker
   - commerce raiding is defined by attacking fleet along trade route
Zen Ghost

falstaffe
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby falstaffe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 pm

A campaign system would be a great way to hook players and keep them coming back to the table. To do that, I think you need an RPG-ish approach. Players might start as a Captain of a single ship, and later advance in rank to Commodore, and then to Admiral. Players can earn points for combat (of course!) but also for exploring new worlds and establishing trade routes (credits? fame?) So, maybe include a random system generator? (You awakened the Shadows of Zha Ha'Dum!) Makes me think of my old Traveller days...

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Forgot about this thread, but I've come up with a draft system (in the Starmada section). It was initially an attempt to go for an operational-level campaign, but has since grown more towards the strategic level. Feedback welcome (hopefully of the positive kind...:D)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Return to “Game Design”