Starmada Nova Rulebook now available for pre-orders

Stuff you need to know
Nomad
Commander
Commander

Re: Starmada Nova Rulebook now available for pre-orders

Postby Nomad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:And...bought. Like quite a few things in it, so far, but the ship design part is horrifying--I'm not entirely sure where the log function on my older calculator is, so it might have to be relegated to SAE-only designs. A few other things aren't that great either, but I think I understand now why its defaulted to an initiative-first system rather than simultaneous movement/combat.

But Directed Defences (FF) looks really interesting--my Quolari might be re-designed for this. Shuttles, tractors, armour, oh my...:P

Agreed - Directed Defenses look good, the new Overthrusters are Grumm Pivots, which are also great, and I'm excited for Flares. Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

And yeah, I feel like a refresher on the Change of Base Formula for logarithms would've been pretty helpful, since most calculators don't support arbitrary-base logs... Excel / OpenOffice does, though :P. Spreadsheet's in the works.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Thats not good for the likes of me who prefer to design ships with pen and paper, though...:(
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

jwpacker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby jwpacker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:58 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Thats not good for the likes of me who prefer to design ships with pen and paper, though...:(

Thankfully, there's only two places you need to do any Logarithms - armor defense factor, and determining the arc penalties on weapon batteries. For the former, there's a handy table. For the latter, there's a simpler way, using the percentage of weapons out of the whole battery that use the arc in question. I think, once you get a few ships under your belt (which you, of all people, will) you'll forget that there are odd-based logs built into the system at all.

And I look forward to Nomad's spreadsheet - the Drydock website is good for getting started, but not really my ideal tool. I like something I can use offline, and that calculates on the fly for me, rather than having all those submit buttons.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

True, and its not too big a problem. However, the table does stop at 24 hulls, and if there's anything I like to do, its build large ships to abuse the hell out of the systems...:)

My main problem, now, is being unable to print it out for the time being. I might do it at some point, but until then its going to be difficult to do the abusing--er, testing of the construction system...:)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

jwpacker wrote:And I look forward to Nomad's spreadsheet - the Drydock website is good for getting started, but not really my ideal tool. I like something I can use offline, and that calculates on the fly for me, rather than having all those submit buttons.

It does fulfil those two criteria! Also it's up in the files section now.

Also minor administrative question: Cricket, is there going to be a separate Basin subforum for Nova / should I hold off posting ship designs :P ?

jwpacker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby jwpacker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:True, and its not too big a problem. However, the table does stop at 24 hulls, and if there's anything I like to do, its build large ships to abuse the hell out of the systems...:)

My main problem, now, is being unable to print it out for the time being. I might do it at some point, but until then its going to be difficult to do the abusing--er, testing of the construction system...:)

Embarrassing admission: I noticed that the Drydock defaulted to a hull size of three, and scratched my head. Then I saw that the armor factors table started at hull size three as well, and started to get mad. What was he thinking? I used to build ridiculous little missile boats in size 1 and 2 hulls! He can't take those away from me!

And then I realized that, if you don't have at least three hull points, you don't have any boxes in Damaged or Crippled...

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Nomad wrote:Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

Poor cloaking... why?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 pm

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

Poor cloaking... why?

It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information. This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part. I may investigate homebrewing a solution which both provides this and plays nicely with non-preplotted movement.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Nomad wrote:It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information. This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part.

This was not a game-balance decision, but a playability one. Without written movement orders -- or simultaneous movement -- as the "default", I thought it would be too hard to track where the cloaked ship had moved and/or give the cloaked ship too much of an advantage/disadvantage by moving first or last. (And I don't want any options to depend on any others -- i.e. "if you use cloaking, you have to use written movement".)

I'm open to tweaks that add a bit of the unknown back to cloaking... perhaps allowing a ship to move X number of hexes upon de-cloaking to simulate uncertainty over its "true" location?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information. This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part.

This was not a game-balance decision, but a playability one. Without written movement orders -- or simultaneous movement -- as the "default", I thought it would be too hard to track where the cloaked ship had moved and/or give the cloaked ship too much of an advantage/disadvantage by moving first or last. (And I don't want any options to depend on any others -- i.e. "if you use cloaking, you have to use written movement".)

I'm open to tweaks that add a bit of the unknown back to cloaking... perhaps allowing a ship to move X number of hexes upon de-cloaking to simulate uncertainty over its "true" location?

Certainly; cloak in AE was ridiculously hard to keep track of. The solution I had in mind (which I think someone proposed here at one point, but I can't find it...) was that upon cloaking, you replace the ship with three copies, each of which tracks movement and thrust separately, though they all move on the same activation. While cloaked, none can fire, and they cannot be fired on. Only one is the actual location of the ship; the copy number of written down separately when cloaking is activated. When de-cloaking, reveal the number of the 'real' copy and remove the other two copies. Resolving mine / asteroid damage would be tricky, though.

Return to “News”