Grand Admiral released!

Stuff you need to know
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Grand Admiral released!

Postby mj12games » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:37 am

Majestic Twelve Games would like to announce the first release for our newest game system, GRAND ADMIRAL.

In the wake of the Great War, a new arms race loomed. The United States and Japan each trusted in a strong navy to achieve future security and retain political influence. Within three years of the Treaty of Versailles, no less than twenty-five new battleships and battlecruisers had been ordered by the two powers, exactly equal to the number already in commission at the end of the War.

The Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 was meant, among other things, to put an end to increased militarization in the Pacific; but by increasing Japanese resentment and playing into American fears, it could achieve no more than to delay the inevitable conflict. Had things gone differently, it might not have even done that much...

GRAND ADMIRAL: FLASHPOINT ORANGE includes the following:

* The Grand Admiral rulebook
* 150 full-color counters representing nearly all American and Japanese forces as of 1922
* Data cards for 150 individually named ships, representing over 50 different classes, from destroyers to super-dreadnoughts
* 16 action cards
* 17" by 22" game board

Grand Admiral is the collective name for Majestic Twelve Games' series of large-scale board games simulating naval combat during the age of the battleship.

Emphasizing simple game mechanics and fast gameplay without sacrificing historical accuracy, each entry in the Grand Admiral line stands alone. However, the core game mechanics remain constant, allowing players to combine ships from different products to create new scenarios and explore any number of "what-if" situations.

Although designed as a hex–n-counter board game, Grand Admiral can be easily adapted to tabletop play using any scale of naval miniatures. So, raise the battle ensign, sound general quarters, and damn the torpedoes -- your destiny awaits!

For more information, visit the Majestic Twelve Games web site at http://www.mj12games.com.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

MadSeason
Captain
Captain

Re: Grand Admiral released!

Postby MadSeason » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

Dammit, Dan! I have enough games to play right now. :D

I skimmed through the demo rules and will definitely pick this up...
Death is light as a feather; duty, heavy as a mountain.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 pm

I skimmed through the demo rules and will definitely pick this up...

Hey MadSeason, how long until there is a vassal mod? Is it done yet? How about now? :lol:

The demo rules do look interesting, I'll probably HAVE to buy it too :roll: ...
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

MadSeason
Captain
Captain

Postby MadSeason » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Well, if I can convince Dan, there will be a Vassal mod. :lol:

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 am

Sadly, not a game I'll be getting. Hate action card-based games.
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm

The action cards are just a way to mix up the order of play. One could just as easily apply a standard initiative-move-shoot sequence, and the rest of the game would not suffer.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

MadSeason
Captain
Captain

Postby MadSeason » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:49 pm

I was surprised by the action cards and can see how they might frustrate players. Still, I will definitely play it that way initially. I might also try an initiative system, if I don't like the cards.

I've read the rules (that didn't take very long!) -- it's light fare but has enough meat on those bones for it to be fun. Can't wait to play! And to think I just received my copy of Pacific Crossroads last week. :lol:

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Just from my point of view i wouldn't mind having 2 sets of "tent" style counters instead of a double sided one (damaged/undamaged). Tent counters are easier to move on a real table top and just look better to me than having a counter "upside-down" relative to the other counters. Maybe that could be an optional download? If I'm printing them from a PDF cost shouldn't be an issue, right?
Just finding something to complain about as usual ;)
Erik
Mark Twain.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:Just from my point of view i wouldn't mind having 2 sets of "tent" style counters instead of a double sided one (damaged/undamaged). Tent counters are easier to move on a real table top and just look better to me than having a counter "upside-down" relative to the other counters.

Are you suggesting one tent counter for the undamaged ship and another for the damaged version?

Maybe that could be an optional download? If I'm printing them from a PDF cost shouldn't be an issue, right?
Just finding something to complain about as usual ;)

Cost may not be an issue, but the time needed to create the download file is. :D
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Are you suggesting one tent counter for the undamaged ship and another for the damaged version?

Yep. Heck, a creative sort could make a damaged looking silhouette even so it would be easier to spot! :lol:

Cost may not be an issue, but the time needed to create the download file is. :D

I know. Can't blame a guy for tryin' though! :) Seems to me if you had a template you could insert the silhouette, mirror it and drop the text info in, but I know time is money. Besides, I should really let you get back to creating new Starmada stuff ;)
Erik
Mark Twain.

Return to “News”