Grand Admiral released!

Stuff you need to know
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Grand Admiral released!

Postby mj12games » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:I know. Can't blame a guy for tryin' though!

I'm not saying I won't do it... just pointing out there are some resources involved in producing something like that.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

dotichnus

Postby dotichnus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Does the Flashpoint Orange book have a stat generator in case I want to create the ships for Dogger Banks for example?

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 am

There is no ship generation info in Flashpoint Orange... right now, all the number-crunching is done via a rather complicated Excel spreadsheet. There may be something in the future.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:29 pm

cricket wrote:The action cards are just a way to mix up the order of play. One could just as easily apply a standard initiative-move-shoot sequence, and the rest of the game would not suffer.

Maybe, but I'm saving up for a couple of other games, and an action card-based game isn't that high on my list of priorities, especially since I've not been able to play a game of S:AE yet (never have enough time on my own)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Carthaginian
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Carthaginian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:05 am

How disappointing.
I just got into Grand Fleet, and then all forward progress gets killed for a new game.
Worse still, there is no way to use this new game to play out the 'what-if' scenarios that my opponents and I are involved in.

When a ship generation system gets integrated, I'll likely give it a try.
Till then, I'll read the reviews and hang onto that $15.00 (and keep my wife off my back for overspending on gaming materials this month :D ).

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:01 am

Heh heh...
Don't get me started on GF or ARES.
Both systems have lost my support, and my name's on a few of the products in those lines. ;)

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:13 am

underling wrote:Heh heh...
Don't get me started on GF or ARES.
Both systems have lost my support, and my name's on a few of the products in those lines. ;)

....my name's on Iron Stars, I'm not complaining....following Dan's creative impulse is a bit like riding a bull. Hang on tight, make sure the clowns are ready to distract him....
:)

I still think ARES has some potential as a light RPG.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Carthaginian wrote:I just got into Grand Fleet, and then all forward progress gets killed for a new game.

Couple things:

1) Forward progress on Grand Fleets was not killed by GA... It's been a year since the last release for GF. While you can blame me and my ADD-style approach to game design, GF2 didn't exactly set this forum alight with interest. Besides, GF and GA can easily co-exist -- it's not one or the other. I see the situation as akin to the FedCom/SFU dichotomy.

2) I really like the idea of a self-contained game, complete with counters, and my continued return to a GA-type game was to some extent holding up progress on other things.

When a ship generation system gets integrated, I'll likely give it a try.

Stay tuned. :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Soulmage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Soulmage » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 pm

I wondered whatever happened to this game. You guys were working on this right about the same time I was working on what eventually became Naval Thunder.

I like the approach you guys have taken in rolling it up to the fleet level in a way that is playable by 2 players. Despite NT's fast-play mechanics, it's still at a greater level of detail and thus we found that to play Jutland with Naval Thunder takes about 5 hours and requires 8 - 10 players.

GA has an elegant simplicity to it that I think many will find appealing.

Carthaginian
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Ask an we shall receive!
I just found the conversion document to get Grand Fleet ships into Grand Admiral. That was some mighty quick work. :D
I can see the SFB/FedComm relation between the games, perhaps (as with the ADB games) the two communities will feed off each other rather than one feeding on the other.

I noticed that the Tsar & Emperor book disappeared from the Grand Fleets page, and that's what made it look like the game had stopped being worked on. Is that particular book still in the works?

Return to “News”