Spell Questions

Complete fantasy mass-combat wargame system

Moderator: Taltos

GhengisRexx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 am

Spell Questions

Postby GhengisRexx » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:35 pm

Is it possible to use the Wasting spell x3 in a single cast to reduce all the wounds in a unit by 3?

If so, would that kill an entire unit of wound 3 elements?


IF Area of effect is part of a spell, will it effect an entire unit if it covers a single element?


If a spell effects a target rather than a hex, is it necessary to bump up the AOE twice to get a 7 hex area? ( the rules say that the first increse is from a target to a hex)

one more question- Do casters have to maintain the Animate spell every turn?

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Re: Spell Questions

Postby jimbeau » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:37 am

WOW, first of all, welcome!

GhengisRexx wrote:Is it possible to use the Wasting spell x3 in a single cast to reduce all the wounds in a unit by 3?

If so, would that kill an entire unit of wound 3 elements?


The text of the spell says:

Code: Select all

If a unit is carrying wounds already and one less wound would kill the unit, than remove it from play as if it had died in combat. The carried wounds are also removed normally.


I would say, and I defer to Noel in this case because he is the one who really invented magic, that this bit pretty much is completely ambiguous and hard to understand and for that I apologize.

The way it reads is that it would reduce the UNIT to 0 wounds. for 12 MP

I would suggest that this would remove the UNIT. 12 mp is tough to get.

Is this unbalancing in your games? if so, how would you fix it?


GhengisRexx wrote:IF Area of effect is part of a spell, will it effect an entire unit if it covers a single element?


for example, if a spell called "Darken the Sky with Missiles, then we'll fight in the shade" has the "strike" and "AOE" factors, then any damage done to a single element is done to the whole unit. Again, can we get an example and we'll figure out what to do with it from there?

GhengisRexx wrote:If a spell effects a target rather than a hex, is it necessary to bump up the AOE twice to get a 7 hex area? ( the rules say that the first increse is from a target to a hex)


yes, but (guess what) can we get an example?

GhengisRexx wrote:one more question- Do casters have to maintain the Animate spell every turn?


Absolutely!

Thus it costs them the MP AND at least one command point for the maintanance and possibly another command to carry over extra MP.

Awesome questions! any thoughts on the rest of it? or better yet, some army lists?

GhengisRexx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 am

Army List

Postby GhengisRexx » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I just got the rules this week and have been pouring over them and getting ready for a game. ( I think I need more Heroscape tiles though :)


Overall I really like the rules, ( bought em because of how much we loved Starmada), but there are some things I'd like to see.

Morale for Personalities. Maybe make it cheap so its easy to be 'heroic',
but generals running can be critical. Remember Darius?

More attack dice available on the spreadsheet. An artillery unit with 3d for attack, can only destroy one element, best case scenario. A missle hero with 3d can only inflict one wound per attack (2 if he carries over a half and attacks twice.)

Undead Legions of the Lich King

Zombies
Every farm, settlement and town overrunn provides more raw material for the lich Kings vile sorcery. Badly armed, and nearly unskilled, Zombie troops provide value on the battlefield by absorbing large amounts of damage without breaking
Infantry 23 pts
Defense 0
Melee 2d4 (pitchforks, knives, spears & sickles)
Move 3
Wounds 4
Morale 1+
Specials Cause Fear, Fearless, Slow Moving, Undead

Skeletal Warriors
Warriors who oppose the might of the Lich King are rewarded with an eternal enlistment into the forces they once opposed. These skeletal warriors are better armed and trained than the zombie peasants, and are used to strike quickly into vulnerable sections of the enemy lines.
Infantry 234 points
Defense 2 (tattered armor and shield)
Melee 2d6 (rusty swords, spears and axes)
Move 5
Wounds 2 (fragile)
Morale 1+
Specials Cause Fear, Fearless, Quick, Undead

Skeletal Champion
The greatest of the fallen are subject to particularly vile ceremonies, and imbued with power to command lesser undead troops.
Personality 266pts
Defense 3
Melee 3d6 (ensorcelled blade)
Move 5
Wounds 6
Command d6
SPeecials
Cause Fear, Fearless, Undead

Death Knight
Ongoing exposure to death and suffering and black magic empower independent intellect and magical abilities.
Personality 1819 pts
Defense 3 Heavy Enchanted armor
Melee 3d8 Runesword
Move 4
Wounds 8
Cmd Dice d6
Magic Dice 2d6
SPecials Cause Fear, Horror, Magic Resistance 2, Undead
Spells
Dread Gaze 6 (Despair + exend) THe mere gaze of a Death Knight can send enemy units scurying for the edge of the map
Black Charge5 (Protect + Speed) Black sorceries hasten the charge of the dead into the fray, making them harder to target

Yellowman 3 (slow) Stains darken the legs of those who reluctanly aproach their doom

Ghouls
These foul beasts feed on the flesh of the fallen warriors who oppose them, preparing them to be raised as skeletons. They prefer to use their speed to attack foes from the flanks or rear, spreading terror with their feeding frenzy.
Infantry 179
Defense 1 lighning reflexes
Melee 2d6 disease encrusted claws and fangs
Move 5
Wounds 5 horrifically resiliant
Specials Cause Fear, Horror, Fearless, QUick, Undead

Ghoul Lord
A loathsome giant horror, who grows fatter with every battle. The Ghoul lord revels in death and sufferering as he feasts on his hapless victims.
Personality 516
Defense 2 tremendously Obese
Melee 2d10 Frighteningly powerful
Move 4 Fast for a giant fat guy
Wounds 8
Command d6
Magic d8
SPells
Paralysis (Despair 4) The mere sight of the ghoul lord can turn a warriors blood to ice.
Sickness (Wasting ) Poisonous flatulence sickens and tenderizes the Ghoul lords enemies
Zombie Bomb (Strike Strike Sacrifice 6) Injecting a hapless zombie with foul poison the Ghoul lord hurls the infected bomb into enemy ranks


THE LICH KING
Conquering death was but the first Great victory for the Lich King. His inastiable lust for death has been the down fall of a dozen kings, and the great wrym Fanghorn, who serves as his steed in death.
Personality 2916
Defense 3 (magical wards)
Melee 2d12 (zombie Dragon fangs and claws)
Range 3d6/6 Magical bolts
Move 8
wounds 10
Cmd 2d6
Magic 2d8
Specials Cause Fear, Horror, Undead
Spells
Raise dead 6 (animate, animate) Those who do not run die, and those who die, rise to fight again

Dark Tunnel 12 (wasting x3) Treacherous Necromancy fools many warriors to march unwittingly through deaths door

Black Beserking 4 (Frenzy)

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Re: Army List

Postby jimbeau » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:36 am

GhengisRexx wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I just got the rules this week and have been pouring over them and getting ready for a game. ( I think I need more Heroscape tiles though :)


One can never have enough!

GhengisRexx wrote:Overall I really like the rules, ( bought em because of how much we loved Starmada), but there are some things I'd like to see.


That's quite an honor to be lumped in with the likes of Starmada! Thank you

GhengisRexx wrote:Morale for Personalities. Maybe make it cheap so its easy to be 'heroic',
but generals running can be critical. Remember Darius?


That will take some thought

GhengisRexx wrote:More attack dice available on the spreadsheet. An artillery unit with 3d for attack, can only destroy one element, best case scenario. A missle hero with 3d can only inflict one wound per attack (2 if he carries over a half and attacks twice.)


We've been toying with the idea that multi-hex units can 1) band together into units according to the size of the base (e.g. arty can put up to 4 elements) and/or 2) roll the number of hexes x attack dice to attack (i.e. arty would roll 3 x attack dice to attack.

I have a table written down somewhere that shows that...


GhengisRexx wrote:Undead Legions of the Lich King

Zombies
Every farm, settlement and town overrunn provides more raw material for the lich Kings vile sorcery. Badly armed, and nearly unskilled, Zombie troops provide value on the battlefield by absorbing large amounts of damage without breaking
Infantry 23 pts
Defense 0
Melee 2d4 (pitchforks, knives, spears & sickles)
Move 3
Wounds 4
Morale 1+
Specials Cause Fear, Fearless, Slow Moving, Undead

Skeletal Warriors
Warriors who oppose the might of the Lich King are rewarded with an eternal enlistment into the forces they once opposed. These skeletal warriors are better armed and trained than the zombie peasants, and are used to strike quickly into vulnerable sections of the enemy lines.
Infantry 234 points
Defense 2 (tattered armor and shield)
Melee 2d6 (rusty swords, spears and axes)
Move 5
Wounds 2 (fragile)
Morale 1+
Specials Cause Fear, Fearless, Quick, Undead

Skeletal Champion
The greatest of the fallen are subject to particularly vile ceremonies, and imbued with power to command lesser undead troops.
Personality 266pts
Defense 3
Melee 3d6 (ensorcelled blade)
Move 5
Wounds 6
Command d6
SPeecials
Cause Fear, Fearless, Undead

Death Knight
Ongoing exposure to death and suffering and black magic empower independent intellect and magical abilities.
Personality 1819 pts
Defense 3 Heavy Enchanted armor
Melee 3d8 Runesword
Move 4
Wounds 8
Cmd Dice d6
Magic Dice 2d6
SPecials Cause Fear, Horror, Magic Resistance 2, Undead
Spells
Dread Gaze 6 (Despair + exend) THe mere gaze of a Death Knight can send enemy units scurying for the edge of the map
Black Charge5 (Protect + Speed) Black sorceries hasten the charge of the dead into the fray, making them harder to target

Yellowman 3 (slow) Stains darken the legs of those who reluctanly aproach their doom

Ghouls
These foul beasts feed on the flesh of the fallen warriors who oppose them, preparing them to be raised as skeletons. They prefer to use their speed to attack foes from the flanks or rear, spreading terror with their feeding frenzy.
Infantry 179
Defense 1 lighning reflexes
Melee 2d6 disease encrusted claws and fangs
Move 5
Wounds 5 horrifically resiliant
Specials Cause Fear, Horror, Fearless, QUick, Undead

Ghoul Lord
A loathsome giant horror, who grows fatter with every battle. The Ghoul lord revels in death and sufferering as he feasts on his hapless victims.
Personality 516
Defense 2 tremendously Obese
Melee 2d10 Frighteningly powerful
Move 4 Fast for a giant fat guy
Wounds 8
Command d6
Magic d8
SPells
Paralysis (Despair 4) The mere sight of the ghoul lord can turn a warriors blood to ice.
Sickness (Wasting ) Poisonous flatulence sickens and tenderizes the Ghoul lords enemies
Zombie Bomb (Strike Strike Sacrifice 6) Injecting a hapless zombie with foul poison the Ghoul lord hurls the infected bomb into enemy ranks


THE LICH KING
Conquering death was but the first Great victory for the Lich King. His inastiable lust for death has been the down fall of a dozen kings, and the great wrym Fanghorn, who serves as his steed in death.
Personality 2916
Defense 3 (magical wards)
Melee 2d12 (zombie Dragon fangs and claws)
Range 3d6/6 Magical bolts
Move 8
wounds 10
Cmd 2d6
Magic 2d8
Specials Cause Fear, Horror, Undead
Spells
Raise dead 6 (animate, animate) Those who do not run die, and those who die, rise to fight again

Dark Tunnel 12 (wasting x3) Treacherous Necromancy fools many warriors to march unwittingly through deaths door

Black Beserking 4 (Frenzy)



Whoah, that's one BIG generalisimo!

GhengisRexx
Midshipman
Midshipman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 am

The Lich King

Postby GhengisRexx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:33 pm

re: the Lich King.

To be honest, I have no idea of the effectiveness of, or balance of the army as a whole. It is based on figs in my collection. ( And the Lich King on the zombie dragon was so cool, I had to make him a rediculously high point value)

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Postby jimbeau » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 pm

A single element is fairly ineffective (and that's a design decision we made) so putting all your points into one mini is probably not the best decision :)

The other look like they're mostly within reason for the undead, they tend to be more expensive and hard to kill, so you generally need less of them.

Personalities tend to be the motivators on the field, not the fighters. given an equal amount of points in personalities and ina well-balanced unit, I'll take the unit. We've don some play testing and the high-point monsters and leaders just can't withstand the horde.

I do really like that wasting spell, tho, esp the x3 aspect, it would make a well-placed attack against even the most worthy foe a cake walk.


Return to “For the Masses”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest